Haralson County Board of Commissioners

Commission Office
155 Van Wert Street
Buchanan, GA 30113
Phone: (770) 646-2002
Fax: (770) 646-2035


You are here: Home - Cities of Haralson County
City of Bremen

city of Bremen

The town of Bremen (original name of Kramer) was incorporated on September 5, 1883, and given the name Bremen. It was originally named for a German immigrant that owned a local vineyard but the name was changed at his request to honor the city of Bremen, Germany.

Bremen’s economy was given a significant boost when the Chattanooga, Rome and Columbus Railroad was built, crossing the Georgia Pacific at Bremen. This gave way to the clothing manufacturing industry that fueled the local economy for decades. The City of Bremen was once called the clothing capital of the Southeast due to the men’s suits that were made and shipped across the nation. Bremen is the largest city in Haralson County.


Contact Information

232 Tallapoosa Street
Bremen, GA 30110
Phone: (770) 537-2331
Fax: (770) 537-5136

City of Bremen

Bremen
Incorporated Date:January 1, 1883
Total Area: 8.9 sq mi
Website


city of buchanan

Buchanan, the county seat of Haralson County, was incorporated December 22, 1857. The City was previously known as Pierceville, but another Georgia town already held the name, so it was renamed after U.S. president James Buchanan.

The Old Haralson County courthouse is listed on the National Register of Historic Places since 1974. There is no solid information about the town's original courthouse, but the one built in 1891, a prime example of a public building constructed in the Queen Anne style, is still existent and today houses the Buchanan-Haralson Public Library and the Haralson County Historical Society. The clock tower was added in 1897. The current courthouse was built in 1972.


Contact Information

4300 Georgia Highway 120
Buchanan, GA 30113
Phone Number: (770) 646-3081
Fax Number: (770) 646-7748

City of Buchanan

Buchanan
Incorporated Date:December 22, 1857
Total Area: 1.7 sq mi
Website

city of tallapoosa

Tallapoosa, the "Dogwood City," takes its name from the river that runs through Haralson County. Tallapoosa is an Indian word meaning "Golden Water." Tallapoosa is also known for having opened the first free school in Georgia in 1889. Like many towns in the foothills of the Appalachian mountains, it began as a gold mining town. Although other names were used to refer to it in its early years (Pine Grove, Pineville, and Possum Snout), a Tallapoosa post office was established in 1839 and the city was Incorporated in 1860.


Contact Information

25 E. Alabama St.
Tallapoosa, GA 30176
Phone Number: (770) 574-2345
Fax Number: (770) 574-3100

 

Tallapoosa Picture

Tallapoosa
Incorporated Date:January 1, 1860
Total Area: 7.5 sq mi
Website

city of waco

The Town of Waco was originally known as Dean and was a small town of about 150 residents. Its name was later changed to Wacoville, and in 1884 it was chartered and the name was changed to Waco. Once known for its cotton and lumber shipments and local millwork the town is now home to West Georgia Technical College and Yogi Bear Jellystone Park Camp and Resort. The annual Fall Fest is held the 2nd Saturday in September.


Contact Information

185 Atlantic Avenue
Waco, GA 30182
Phone Number: (770) 537-3314
Fax Number: (770) 537-6505
City of Waco

Waco
Incorporated Date:January 1, 1885
Total Area: 1.6 sq mi
Website



 
 
 
 
Courthouse